Ratholer - A player who removes chips from the table, usually to avoid having to go all-in more than they intend to. Ratholing is typically performed by shortstackers who play really tight, double up, then move to another table.

High Roller - A player who usually plays in high stakes poker games that require betting large amounts of money. As a result large amounts of money can be won and lost within minutes.

Friday, December 24, 2010

Step 4: Long Term Thinking applied to every session

Even though poker is a long term game, consisting of millions of hands, it all starts with each session you play. I try to always make sure that I follow these rules when playing. These rules ensure that I always get the best out of each session.

Session Goals:
Practice good BRM
See Step 2
Apply the maths
See Step 3, know when it is profitable to call.
Try some multi-level thinking
At micros, only 2nd level is really required, "What do I think my opponent has?" Try putting them on a hand or range of hands.
Be patient, remain calm and focused
Above all, if you are emotional while playing, you will tilt.

Cash Game Rules:
Use proper game selection
The most profitable tables for TAG players are those with a high % of players per flop, a big pot size and a high number of hands per hour.
Always buy in for the maximum and top up if needed
This will allow you to play big stack strategy. Remember that chips are tools that can be used to extract chips from other players.
Learn to identify when you go on tilt and activate the killswitch
When I am 1.5 BI down for the day, I stop for the day. If I find myself calling mediocre hands OOP, playing too loose or making bad decisions, I take a break.

Tournament Rules:
Number of Rebuys
Only 2 rebuys and 1 addon per tournament to stay within BRM
Only rebuy if you had the best hand when the money went in
This forces me to make good decisions.
Only addon if it will take you over the average stack size or if you are already over the average stack size
This makes sure that I am not just feeding the big stacks.

Always remember that each session contributes to your long term goals... Keep these in mind and if you are a decent player, your BR should grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment