Ratholer - A player who removes chips from the table, usually to avoid having to go all-in more than they intend to. Ratholing is typically performed by shortstackers who play really tight, double up, then move to another table.

High Roller - A player who usually plays in high stakes poker games that require betting large amounts of money. As a result large amounts of money can be won and lost within minutes.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

The story so far...

The first time I remember playing No Limit Hold Em, the "Cadillac of Poker" was about 5 years ago now. One of those home games at a mates house, set up out of boredom, more than anything else. The haze of smoke and alcohol induced bluffs... chasing gutshot straight draws and calling just to make sure your opponent didn't have the nuts - that's what I used to think poker was all about. If only I knew how wrong I was.

Fast forward to about a year ago, home games are starting to happen more frequently, I manage to scrape ITM a few times and the bug had officially bitten.

I guess I started out where most players who have just been bitten land up, depositing a few bucks online, short stacking, ratholing trying to make sure I didn't bust my almost non existent BR, bust out, watched some poker on the telly, reloaded, tried some pro moves that I learned from the wsop bracelet winners, bust out, reload... It suddenly dawned on me that there may be more to this whole poker thing than what I initially thought.

Then I started reading, pretty much anything I could get my hands on. I was consuming poker books, forums and blogs like a raging Vrystad veld fire. Most of the stuff I read just amazed me, the more I soaked up, the more I wanted to hit the felt, the more hands I saw, the more forums I scoured.

Things finally started coming together and I was getting a clear picture of my poker future. This was something that I wanted to do on a more permanent basis. I knew that if I put the hours in, I would see rewards, so I started again, from scratch.

I am improving, steadily. I am by no means a pro, but the intention is to at least go semi-pro in the next 2 years. Things are starting to pick up and I have been asked for tips from micro stakes regs and newbies, then there was the suggestion that I start a blog.

So here it is, how I'm planning to go from Ratholer to High Roller... Hope it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment