Ratholer - A player who removes chips from the table, usually to avoid having to go all-in more than they intend to. Ratholing is typically performed by shortstackers who play really tight, double up, then move to another table.

High Roller - A player who usually plays in high stakes poker games that require betting large amounts of money. As a result large amounts of money can be won and lost within minutes.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Poker Book Review - The Mammoth Book of Poker

The Mammoth Book of Poker - Paul Mendelson - UK ISBN 978-1-84529-807-4

This was the first book that I picked up when I decided to take NLHE seriously.
I would really recommend it as a first read, although I have not read the Little Green Book or Super System, this book gave me enough knowledge to base my new game style on.

Sections Include:
Texas Hold Em - The basics of the game
NLHE - Starting hands, loads of examples
Tournament Strategy - A good starting strategy for low BI tourneys
Online Poker - Things to remember when playing online
Home Games - How to set up your own home game
LHE - Limit Hold Em
Other Poker Variations - Explains the rest

And the best bits are the bonus ones:
100 Tips for Hold Em - Really good read, helped me a lot.
Tables and Stats - Easy Ref
Tells - Good for Live Poker
Bad beats
Glossary

On of the best things about this book was the many many sample hands and little quizzes at the end of each section. The book teaches the ABC TAG style of play, which is most recommended for Micro stakes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I can personally comment on Super System (the original one, not Super System 2).

    The NLHE advice is still very good, even by today's standards of play, however some of it might be a bit outdated. When I started playing though it definately shoved me in the right direction. A good read if you can borrow it, but I wouldn't recommend paying the odd R300 for it that I did.

    ReplyDelete